Government Financial Aid Available For College!


When a student starts considering going to college, usually the next thing they think about is how to finance it. Yes, they have heard of, and most likely applied for, the Pell Grant. It cuts cost considerably, either for on campus or online degrees. At the same time, even though President Obama pushed through a raise on the Pell, it’s only good for so much, and most schools tuitions far exceed that amount alone.

What many students don’t know is there’s another federal program, one that’s been around longer than even the Pell. Entitled the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, or the SEOG, it was introduced back in 1966. It can give a student as much as an additional $4,000 towards tuition and fees. In fact, this year the U.S. will give out over $700 million through the SEOG, making it the second largest grant program in the country. If you need more information about on line college degree, look on the internet.

Like the Pell, an applicant must fill out a FASFA form to determine if they are entitled to an SEOG. This form will ask about not only their own, but particularly if they are minors, their parent’s or guardian’s financial condition. This will include income, expenses and any other factors that affect need. An important point is the same FASFA form is good for both the Pell and the SEOG.

There are other important qualifications for the SEOG. First, the student must be a born or naturalized American citizen. Next, even if one gets the Pell Grant there must still be a negative difference between everything else one gets and the school’s cost. It should also be noted the SEOG is only for Associate’s or Bachelor’s degrees, not vocational programs or post-grad. The student must also have and maintain a grade point average of 2.0 or better before and during their academic career.

Also, the student should not be the beneficiary of a Pell Grant overpayment. Students who dropped out from college once can still be eligible for additional SEOG money. Also, one thing very important for students going back to school after dropping out is that they must not be in default with any of their college loan(s).

If entitled, the money will not go directly to the applicant. Instead, the university is responsible to set up a sort of credit account to the student. From there, the Board of Education will issue a check to the student through the college. Upon receipt, the applicant must go to the school’s bursar office to sign over the check, which is then deposited to the account, thus “paying” the tuition. There is an abundance of information about online distance learning on the web.

If any of this seems a bit confusing, it’s a good idea to consult a college financial officer. It’s their job to help a student (and family) through the process, including navigating the paperwork, filing and getting the hopeful acceptance letter.

What’s important is when the Pell Grant doesn’t meet your educational needs; there is another grant program that can be an incredible supplement towards obtaining on campus or distance learning programs. Of course, just because the SEOG is there with thefederal pell grants for college doesn’t mean one shouldn’t look for more.


Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!