Is Computer Science The Right Degree For You?
If you are planning to take up computer science as your degree in college, you will be pleased to know that there are a lot of career options waiting for you as you graduate. As we all know, organizations, businesses and institutions are continuously looking to expand and improve their systems. To do this, they will also need to integrate some of the most sophisticated computer technologies right into their own frameworks. As a result, there is an increasing demand for individuals who are highly knowledgeable and skilled in computer science.
Computer science as a field or profession may involve a variety of job titles. What position you may eventually hold will depend on the company or organization you will belong to. While each and every company may have different job titles for their computer science professionals, computer science experts typically work and specialize in the fields of systems analysis, database administration, and research. And in all the areas of specialization available to computer scientists, they will be expected to come up with new technologies, find solutions to problems, do research, and also create various ways to use computer technology.
Before you decide to enroll in a particular campus-based or online computer science school and degree program, there are certain issues that you need to consider first. Below you will see some important questions that will help you make an informed decision.
1. What is the degree program you are looking to take focused on?
2. How many types of computer technology does the degree program cover?
3. Are there any prerequisites you need to fulfill to qualify for the program?
4. What certifications and accreditations does the computer science school and program have?
5. Does the computer science degree program provide enough hands-on experience?
6. When it comes to using different computer technologies, is it your priority to come up with theories, create designs, or perhaps maintain computer systems?
7. Do you think you will be comfortable sitting at the computer desk almost the entire day? Are you ready for the possibility of you having strained eyes, hands and back because of prolonged usage of the computer?
8. In choosing an area of specialization, are there a lot of opportunities for career advancement?
9. Will you be willing to take some additional academic courses or training programs in order for you to be up-to-date with all the changer and advancements in computer trends and technologies?
By answering these question, you will pretty much know to yourself if you are better off with a computer science degree or not.